8 Health Benefits of CBD Oil
Table of Contents
CBD oil, derived from the cannabis plant, is making waves for its broad health benefits. It has shown promise in easing mental health concerns, managing epilepsy and chronic pain, improving sleep, and even enhancing skin health.
This guide will explore how CBD oil could help your body. We will examine its role in various health conditions and discuss its side effects and potential interactions with other medicines.
CBD oil benefits: How cannabidiol can help your body?
The following are the eight primary potential health benefits of CBD oil. It may:
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Manage epilepsy seizures
- Reduce chronic pain & inflammation
- Ease arthritis discomfort
- Enhance sleep quality
- Aid in addiction recovery
- Boost skin health
- Offer neuroprotective effects
Let’s look at these in detail below.
1. Mental health: Anxiety, stress, depression
CBD has gained attention for its potential benefits in managing various mental health conditions, including anxiety, stress, and depression. By interacting with the body’s endocannabinoid system, CBD may help regulate mood and emotional responses, providing a natural alternative for those seeking relief from these mental health challenges.
The following research studies are among the many that evaluated CBD’s potential to ease mental health conditions:
- A comprehensive 2019 review assessed CBD’s role in treating various psychiatric disorders, including anxiety and substance use. The findings showed promise, and the review emphasised the need for further research to document CBD’s efficacy in these conditions.
- Another 2019 review found that CBD was effective in treating anxiety and related disorders with minimal side effects. It included trials and reports indicating improvements in conditions like generalised anxiety disorder and PTSD.
- Another 2020 review published in the Biomolecules Journal highlighted CBD’s potential as a treatment for anxiety, depression, and psychotic disorders. It noted its effectiveness without the risk of abuse.
CBD has shown significant promise in the treatment and management of epilepsy, particularly in refractory epilepsy and genetic epilepsies. It works through intricate pathways involving endocannabinoids, crucial in neurological functions and seizure control.
The same trend is also validated further by the US FDA-approved, CBD-derived medication called Epidiolex. This prescription cannabidiol medicine is used to treat seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
Some recent research on the topic include:
- A 2023 article on Medical Xpress reported a significant advancement in epilepsy treatment using CBD. Led by Dr. D. Samba Reddy, the study emphasised CBD’s potential in effectively managing epilepsy and seizure disorders, offering new therapeutic possibilities.
- A 2023 study by NYU Grossman School of Medicine discovered that CBD reduces seizures in treatment-resistant pediatric epilepsy. The study, using animal models, found that CBD disrupts a cycle that increases brain excitability and seizures, offering new insights into CBD’s potential to ease epilepsy.
CBD is recognised for its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, making it a potential alternative for treating chronic pain. Its interaction with the endocannabinoid system in the body may help reduce pain signals and inflammation, offering relief without the psychoactive effects of THC. Research also suggests CBD’s potential as an effective opioid alternative for pain management.
Some studies to note are:
- A 2022 systematic review published in the Cureus Journal of Medical Science highlighted the differing effects of CBD and THC on pain. The general trend supports CBD’s benefits for chronic pain, sleep improvement, and quality of life, with the need for clinical trials.
- A 2020 study reviewed CBD’s analgesic potential and mechanisms, showing it to be a well-tolerated, safe compound with pain-relieving effects in various pain models.
- A clinical study involving 97 chronic pain patients found that over half reduced or eliminated opioid use after adding CBD to their treatment over 8 weeks. Most participants reported improvements in sleep quality and pain intensity.
For people suffering from arthritis, CBD offers a promising avenue for relief. Its anti-inflammatory properties can be crucial in reducing joint pain, swelling, and common arthritis symptoms. This can potentially improve mobility and quality of life for sufferers.
The following research supports these trends:
- A 2022 study published in the Journal of Cannabis Research investigated the effects of CBD on arthritis symptoms in 428 patients. Results showed significant improvements in pain, physical function, and sleep quality. The study also found that many participants reduced or stopped using other pain medications.
- A study in Nature published in 2020 found that CBD effectively targets inflammatory cells in rheumatoid arthritis.
5. Sleep improvement
CBD’s calming effects on the nervous system make it a potential aid for sleep disorders. By potentially reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation, CBD may help regulate sleep patterns, offering a natural approach to improving sleep quality and easing insomnia.
Here’s a look at the studies supporting the same:
- A 2021 systematic review and meta-analysis published in ‘Current Psychiatry Reports’ concluded that cannabinoids like CBD may positively impact sleep, especially in reducing sleep disturbances and improving sleep quality.
- Another research article reviewed the use of CBD for sleep disturbances in people with neurological conditions. This study found that CBD might help improve sleep quality, particularly in those suffering from neurological disorders.
- A 2019 study published in ‘The Permanente Journal’ investigated CBD’s effects on sleep and anxiety. The study involved 72 subjects, with the results indicating that within the first month, 79.2% of patients reported lower anxiety levels, and 66.7% reported better sleep.
6. Addiction aid
CBD shows potential as a supportive treatment for addiction, particularly in managing withdrawal symptoms and reducing cravings. Its therapeutic properties may help reduce the anxiety and stress associated with addiction recovery.
The same trend has also been seen in the following publications:
- In human studies, CBD has shown promise in reducing cigarette use in smokers and decreasing the desire for cannabis.
- Similarly, a pilot study found that CBD significantly reduced heroin cravings and anxiety in opioid-dependent individuals, even maintaining this effect for several days after the last dose, indicating its potential as a treatment for drug addiction and relapse prevention.
- Another review suggests that CBD may help in treating various addictions like opioids, cocaine, and cannabis by reducing withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
7. Skin health
CBD’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties make it a compelling ingredient in skincare. It may help treat various skin conditions, such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis, by reducing inflammation and promoting healthy skin cell growth.
The following research articles provide a closer look:
- An article published in the Dermatology Times in 2023 noted CBD has emerged as a popular ingredient in skincare products. While studies show CBD’s efficacy in treating acne, eczema, and psoriasis by influencing sebum production and inflammation, conclusive clinical evidence is needed.
- A study made online in 2022 noted CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties serving as a potential treatment for acne.
- A 2020 study explored the mechanisms and possibility of CBD to ease skin disorders and promote skin health. It noted promising therapeutic benefits for skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, pruritis, and inflammatory conditions.
8. Neuroprotective properties
CBD’s neuroprotective properties are of significant interest in the treatment of neurological disorders. By potentially safeguarding nerve cells against damage and degeneration, CBD may offer benefits in conditions like multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease.
The following studies support these findings:
- A 2023 study noted CBD might help protect the brain from long-term damage after injuries. Cannabidiol can potentially protect brain cells from further damage by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress, akin to swelling and rust at the cellular level.
- In certain neurological disorders, the brain’s immune cells can become overactive, causing inflammation and releasing harmful substances. CBD has been shown in studies to potentially quiet these overactive cells, which could make it a valuable option for treating a variety of brain-related conditions.
- In diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, CBD’s properties as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory may possibly slow down the disease process. Research suggests that figuring out the right amount and way to use CBD is key to maximising its therapeutic potential for these neurodegenerative disorders.
While CBD oil shows promise in various health applications, more research is necessary to fully understand its effects and potential therapeutic benefits. Speak to your doctor before taking CBD oil for health reasons.
What is CBD?
CBD is one of the many cannabinoids found in cannabis. Unlike its psychoactive counterpart, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not produce a “high” and is non-intoxicating. Instead, it offers a range of therapeutic benefits for both mental and physical health.
Cannabidiol is thought to influence the body by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), a complex network that helps maintain balance in the body. It may modulate the ECS indirectly, affecting the activity of receptors and enzymes, leading to potential health benefits like reduced inflammation and pain relief.
Where can you buy CBD oil in Thailand?
CBD oil, falling under the ambit of medicinal marijuana, is legal and widely available in Thailand. You can find it online or in dedicated stores/clinics/dispensaries nationwide.
Check out our dedicated reviews of leading CBD oils for a closer look at some of the best cannabidiol extracts in the country – and how to buy them.
What are the side effects of using CBD oil?
While there have been no serious negative reporting of adverse effects, improper dosing and other factors can lead to side effects such as:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in appetite
- Digestive issues
CBD oil may also interact with certain medications, like blood thinners, and affect how they work in your body. This is known as drug interaction and can be potentially harmful to you.
It is essential to consult a doctor about your current medications before consuming CBD, as the two can impact each other’s functioning and lead to side effects.
Cannabidiol oil has emerged as a versatile supplement with many potential health benefits. Its capacity to reduce anxiety, improve sleep, and ease pain points to a natural solution for common health concerns. Yet, the full picture of CBD’s efficacy and safety is still developing as researchers continue to study its effects.
As the conversation around CBD oil evolves, people must approach its use thoughtfully and with medical advice. With ongoing investigations, the true extent of CBD oil’s benefits remains a field ripe for discovery, promising new possibilities in wellness and medicine.